Sexually Transmitted Diseases/bump on tip of penis

Question
Hi doc,

I had protected sex with an escort 7 days ago. She also gave me unprotected oral. I will be going for my hiv and std tests after a few week. Right now I'm concerned about this bump on the tip of my penis. does it look like a STD infection? Can I get it tested right away ?

Answer
Karan,

You're supposed to wait 3-4 weeks after unprotected (risky) activity to get a 99% accuracy testing. It wouldn't serve you well to get tested the same week as the activity because assuming you did get anything then the antibodies to whatever you theoretically came in contact with haven't even formed yet so you would get a false negative quite possibly. I would wait and as for the "bump," since you had unprotected oral, its very likely the bump is merely an abrasion from the oral sex. It will heal on its own within a few days, but you should expect abrasions during unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral intercourse without any form of lubrication because of the friction forces on the penis itself.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice