You are here:

Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Concerns about bumps I've had for a while


Hi there, I'm 16 years old and ever since i can remember I've had these weird bumps on the inside part of my labia. They do not hurt, they don't itch or burn, they don't really bother me other than the fact that they look really scary. I have never had sex, nor have I ever engaged in any sexual activity, yet I'm still worried about having genital warts or something like that. They are small flesh like bumps and they are in clusters all on the inside of my labia and near the vaginal opening. There are sometimes when they aren't as noticeable and others when they are. If i pull at the skin a little bit, it looks like the bumps are right under the skin rather than on top, i have noticed that they do have some sort of discharge, but it is not yellow or green. It's just white. Kind of like a pimple, but they do not pop, they just kinda rub off or something. I've never actually seen the discharge come out but i can see little white heads on the bumps and then a white kind of powdery texture to the discharge. I honestly have no idea what this could be or is and i've searched around and still haven't been able to figure it out. If you have any idea what this is your help would be appreciated, thanks again.

Hi Lauren,

Until proven otherwise through a pap smear, which you should have performed every three years by your OBGYN specialist, those are genital papilla which are completely normal and a part of your natural anatomy. You should grow accustomed to seeing them just like every other woman and I would behoove you to learn what your anatomy looks like so you know what "normal" looks like. Every woman should have a form of discharge as a form of whitish (slightly opaque), odorless lubrication. However, it becomes abnormal when it has an odor, color, or thick texture. Know these signs as a means of "red flagging" yourself. If you ever have questions, don't hesitate to ask me or your primary care provider as well.

Best wishes,


Sexually Transmitted Diseases

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Brice


Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.


3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

Past/Present Clients
*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.

©2017 All rights reserved.