Sexually Transmitted Diseases/effectiveness of doxcyline hyalite

Hi John, I was wondering how effective Doxcyline Hyclate is against Gonorrhea. I
recently received unprotected oral and 2 days later the girl emailed and said
she had Gonorrhea. I had 30 days 60 pills of 100 mg Doxcyline hyclate left from
a tick bite that tested negative for lime. I took these pills for one month in
hopes that infection wouldn't grow. Will this prevent any infection from
starting to take them 2 days after contact. I'm not sure she even had it. She
could have been trying to scare me. I did notice tiny mucous strings in my urine so I was wondering if maybe it didn't work.

Thanks, Steve from Syracuse NY

Hello Steve,
This Mark, not John. You may wish to redirect this to the right recipient if I was not the intended one!! According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 7 days should be effective therapy for gonorrhea. HOWEVER, "Because of the high prevalence of tetracycline resistance among Gonococcal Isolate Surveillance Project isolates, particularly those with elevated minimum inhibitory concentrations to cefixime, the use of azithromycin as the second antimicrobial is preferred." in the words of CDC experts.  In other words, azithromycin (which is a macrolide, not a tetracycline, like doxycycline) is preferred.

The short answer to your question is that taking those doxycyline twice daily for at least 7 to 10 days should be effective, however 2 weeks after completion of this therapy, you are well advised to receive a urine DNA test for gonorrhea just to make sure you did not have the tetracycline resistant strain.

Mucous strings per se don't necessarily suggest your having an infection, however if there is any white or colored particulate material in these strings of mucous, then that more strongly suggests an infection with something (assuming of course it is not just fresh ejaculate, which will be white, gray, or yellowish in color)! You will have to examine the discharge though!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons