Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is genital herpes?

Question
QUESTION: Hello all,

I'm currently in a committed relationship for the last 6 months and have had un protected sex. I have had previous STD tests last year and prior to this and all came back clear. In the last 24 hours I've noticed this unusual rash appear on my penis, on the head and the foreskin that sits over it. It is red, with what looks to be tiny pimples as part of it. It developed about 24 hours ago with no warning sign, no itching, no pain. I would describe it as slightly tender to touch, maybe a very very mild burning but nothing that would be noticeable without thinking about it but barely any pain at all. I've had skin irritation on my penis before and the tenderness felt the same as this does. I'm trying to determine whether it looks like or could be herpes or whether it is some kind of fungal infection. I know the Clinic will give me a definite answer but in the mean time i'm looking for some advice until i can get there. I'm going to go for a test on Thursday but in the mean time wanted some opinions of what it could be.

Thank you! :)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/pianoman541/IMG_7820_zps68bd3405.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/pianoman541/IMG_7829_zps8ce933bb.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/pianoman541/IMG_7825_zps7380ebe3.jpg

ANSWER: Hey Tim,

That's balanitis, which is a fungal infection of the penis that most often occurs from unprotected intercourse. While not defined as an STI, they are pretty common and are passed via direct skin contact. I would abstain from sexual contact with your partner until you've cleared it up by seeing your primary care provider or with your local health clinic (they'll likely put you on Diflucan) and it might be possible that your partner will be put on the medicine too since it was passed from them to you. However, if you have must have sex during the treatment cycle then please use protection as you can make the symptoms worse. Balanitis is extremely easy to treat and can clear up with a few weeks if proper precautions are taken plus medications.

Cheers,

John

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your response John. I managed to capture a better image in better light today and wanted to reconfirm with you it looks like Balantis. It's not painful, its not crusty. it just seems to be red with a number of these white head looking spots. Some of them almost indented looking. I will still go for my check up tomorrow but want to prepare myself for any nasty shocks if these photos reveal more than fungus at work.

Thanks so much, hopefully you can put my mind at ease further.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/pianoman541/IMG_7847_zpsfb38668f.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b530/pianoman541/IMG_7848_zpsa87d509a.jpg

Answer
Tim,

Fungal infections typically don't hurt at all; that's the reason why it fits so well and the dispersal pattern fits the profile. After 1100 cases I'm pretty good at spotting this :) I really think you should see a doctor about this and try to get a prescription to treat it as soon as possible.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice