Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HSV

Question
QUESTION: I recently got a full std panel and tested positive for HSV 1 with a score of 3.32. I've never had any cold sores and wanted to know how I should interpret this result. I tested negative for HSV 2.

I had shingles a couple of years ago and wasn't sure if that would have an impact on me testing positive for HSV 1. I believe the test they used was HerpeSelect IgG.

I would appreciate any insight you can provide and whether I need to be worried at all.

Thanks,

Mike

ANSWER: Hi Mike,

Testing positive for HSV 1 isn't the end of the world. In fact, you're one of over 50 million adults on the planet who have it; that's how common it is and how easy it is to get. You could have a very strong immune system and never have the FIRST outbreak. However, if you begin to show a cold sore: crusty exterior with pussy interior-then DONT kiss anyone, share utensils with anyone, and avoid oral contact with anyone during an outbreak. Use your anti-viral medical (Abreva I'm told works wonders) and even though the virus can be theoretically transmitted even when you're not having an outbreak; don't live everyday in fear of humanity. If you're healthy then your immune system will play its part in making the virus as dormant as possible. HSV lives along the nerve ganglion in your lips and mouth, which is why it hurts so damn much when you have an outbreak!

Ironic that you mentioned you had shingles because while HSV and Shingles are part of the same family of viruses (Herpes), they are not the same structurally. Shingles is actually called herpes zoster virus and lives along the nerve ganglion in your chest, arms, back, and other areas whereas HSV 1 and 2 are specific to their location. If you have follow up let me know.

Best wishes,

John

QUESTION: Thanks for your response. I've heard same thing that most ppl by 30 have HSV 1 and that it's not a big deal. I just want to know for myself if I actually have it. The test I took was Heroes Select Elisa 1Gg. I read that if you test positive with a score under 3.5 then there is a good chance of a false positive. I want to get retested just to confirm. I was thinking about taking the Herpes Select Immunoblot test as I read that it might be more accurate. I just find my score of 3.3 a little hard to believe since I've never had a cold sore before.

Do you have any thoughts on the different herpes test?

Thanks,

Mike

Answer
Mike,

The ELISA result is 92% accurate and I cant think of a more favorable odd than that, so if you want that extra 7% assurance than that's up to you, but I wouldn't place any hope of the result changing. Your test result is at the upper tip of the low positive control index, which is actually a GOOD thing because it doesn't mean your immune system is being "overpowered" by the virus. That means its being "managed" quite well by your lymphocytes. If you want to talk about this in more detail please call me at 919-889-2006 or by email at jbrice1982@gmail.com.

Cheers mate,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice