Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Is this an STD?


First One
First One  
Hi there, I am 22 years old and a few days ago I saw a tiny little bump appear on the edge of my scrotum.

Now I have had little bumps on my penis before in the past because I seem to be prone to getting cysts and ingrown hairs. (Some of which I have been to a dermatologist in the past to take care of).

Now since then the small little bumps I would get seemed like little cysts or hair follicles. I'd squeeze them, your typical white thick blackhead like pus would come out. They would die down.

I'll also note that these small little bumps I have squeezed in the past were confirmed by a dermatologist to not be an STD/I. These bumps would give me no discomfort or pain. I'd merely squeeze them for aesthetic purposes(As I at one point had a cyst on my penis, and had no intention of seeing one build up again.)

This recent bump however when it initially formed, I thought it looked a little bit like a skin tag. It didn't hurt either. Yet it had an almost wet looking red crown. With routine, I popped it and cut it open a bit with a needle thinking it was an ingrown hair or something(which I am also prone to getting).

A little bit of blood leaked out, and then it was sore for a couple days(Barely noticable, it was right between my scrotum and thigh, and the only time I would notice it is when I was walking, or it brushed against my underwear). And now the pain/soreness has completely vanished as the bump has proceeded to die down.

I thought it was odd, but thought nothing of it. However now a similar bump has appeared on the bottom of the shaft of my penis. This time with no red crown. I gently popped it, again there is a minimal level of soreness(only with pressure). A small bit of blood leaked out after popping it.

Hi Z,

It appears to be an infected hair follicle, nothing more. If you have been to a doctor to get tested for STI's then you would rest a whole lot easier instead of going to the dermatologist about this, but its good that you are getting a doctor's opinion on the matter. You can get screened at any local health department or by your primary care provider and STI panels usually cover the 8 most common STI's, so consider doing a workup to settle your mind.



Sexually Transmitted Diseases

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Brice


Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.


3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

Past/Present Clients
*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.

©2017 All rights reserved.