Sexually Transmitted Diseases/STD

QUESTION: Years ago I contracted an STD. I just didn't know it at the time. I was newly married. I had never before in my life slept with anyone else. I wish I could say the same for my husband. I knew when I married him that he had been through 2 marriages and there were other women.

About a year after our daughter was born, I noticed I couldn't stop going pee. The pap smear came back "A Typical" I was told me that I was pre cancerous. So he froze the cervix and in a few months the problem came back. So I opted for a hysterectomy. I still had no idea until 25 yrs LATER that it was an STD. At the time I just thought I had avoided cancer and that was it.

When I did find out, I just kept it in the back of my mind and never told my husband.

Then approx. a couple of months ago, we were at his Dr and she asked if he had ever had an STD. He said no and that's when I told him the truth and since that day it has bothered me. Something about hearing it out loud I guess. If I could leave him and make everything go away, I would but I know the reality is you can't change what is.

since that time in HIS Dr office we have NOT been intimate. I know after 33 yrs that the chances of catching anything else are next to nothing and so are the chances that my problem will come back.

But just for safety's sake, this time I want to know, can I get anything else? If so what and how can I prevent it this time?

ANSWER: Joyce,

I'm surprised you haven't been screened yet for everything. If I were you I would go ahead and ask your primary care provider for the full STI screen just to see if you have a clean bill of health. For that matter, he should get screened too because at least you would be both safe in the knowledge that you're not making each other sick. If you both have clean bills of health then I suppose you wouldn't have anything to worry about as long as you're in a monogamous and trusting relationship. Make an appointment and get back to me once you've found out something.

QUESTION: so in the meantime would condoms help? I keep telling him no and I'm not sure how much longer he will wait.

ANSWER: Joyce,

Condoms are extremely helpful because they reduce the incidence of disease by as much as 96% when used correctly and consistently, so its better than nothing!

Best wishes,

QUESTION: ok we are both going to get tested. But I'm such a worry wart that I need to know, what the chances are? Is it incredibly likely after all this time or not? Its been 33 yrs.

If you really did have something, and it was untreated, you would be in some deep doo doo by now :P I doubt you have much to worry about as far as bacterial STI's are concerned, but I'm particularly curious and worried about the chances for viral STI's because those cant be cured and I cant even begin to estimate what your status is with those. However, I feel confident in the knowledge that if you did have a bacterial STI, it was cured ages ago.

Cheers my friend,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.