Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Vaginal irritation

Question
Redness
Redness  
QUESTION: I have been having vaginal irritation on and off for a few months. Pap came up clear. It only seems irritated after touching it and is in the inside. The skin looks irritated/red but there are no abnormal looking bumps. I think the discharge seems normal too. Does this look/sound like anything?

ANSWER: Brit,

Its normal for the vaginal to have some form of emission, but it should be clear with no odor and pretty think. If you should have a thicker discharge with odor and it has a more opaque color-that's a clear sign of infection. Since your pap came up normal, there's nothing internally that's wrong. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "irritation." Is it uncomfortable or painful to touch the outside of your vagina or have intercourse? A little redness should be expected when a woman becomes aroused as blood flow increases to the area and as long as there is no discomfort then that's not a sign of pathology. Let me know if you need clarification.

Cheers,

John

QUESTION: When I say irritation, I mean it causes discomfort after sex or masturbation. Even taking that picture made it feel uncomfortable afterwards. The skin there when I look is always red, aroused or not, and it looks like there are some rougher looking patches (though not bumps). It's almost like a feeling of dryness, but I don't know why it would suddenly feel like that. No itch, no discharge, just an ever so slight burning discomfort, and mostly only after touching in that area.

Answer
Brit,

Vaginal dryness may be an underlying cause for everything that you're experiencing and that's something you should bring up with your OBGYN. I'm so glad that you brought that up because all of your symptoms make since now. Make sure you let your provider know this :)

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice