Sexually Transmitted Diseases/bump

bump 2
bump 2  
QUESTION: Hi mark. Do you have any idea what is the thing on my has been there for along time now. Initially only one bump but now I have 3. Please advise.

ANSWER: Hello Wahab,
These bumps are warts, caused by human papilloma virus. Note that even if you do wear condoms, they are right near the base of the penis, meaning that the condom might not even cover that area. You may need to seek medical care for getting rid of them, as most warts are not susceptible to topical treatments.  Freezing with podophyllin is a common approach used in the US.

Your partner probably also has warts in the body part that would typically touch that part of your penis.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Should I be worry about this? Are these infection serious and where should I go to seek for medication? Dermatologist?

ANSWER: Hello Wahab,
Every community has different medical folks who may chose to specialize in treatment of warts.   Family medicine, dermatology, STD specialists, all may be tried. Best treatments may include cryotherapy, use of podophyllin 25% in a tincture of benzoin, condylox, and others have varying degrees of success. Over 100 strains of wart virus are known, and most produce just nuisance skin warts; some are associated with precancerous changes known as "dysplasia" which can progress into cervical, throat, anorectal, and vulvar cancers.

Good luck!!

QUESTION: Hi mark,

I went to local dermatologist recently and had the visual inspection by the doctor. He said something like nevus not genital wart. He just prescribed me with some sort of lotion and vitamain. Now im confused, should I seek extra screening or just try this medicine first and see how the result after awhile.

Hello Wahab,
Any health care provider who has the advantage of actually seeing your skin in person has a great advantage to seeing it as a photograph.  He is also a specialist, a dermatologist. Therefore you should consider his advice carefully. If it doesn't work, or if the bumps continue to grow, than reassess!

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons