Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Fungal or Eczema/Psoriasis

Image 1
Image 1  
image 2
image 2  
QUESTION: Hi Expert,

I'm 38 for the past 5 months I have this thing on my glan no sex encounter only masturbation frequently so we can rule out std,it does not itch or burn or any discomfort its the red/pink color and dry looking skin with  ocassionaly peeling the outer skin in the area since it appear. can I get your expert opinion to look at my penis glan what is this to stop my worrying.thanks

ANSWER: Hello Radford,
It would help to know if you now have or have ever had any other types of chronic skin conditions, like eczema, contact dermatitis, etc. If you use soap or a special type of lubricant, that too might be a potential contributor.

It does NOT look like anything serious, including STD.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Hi once again sir, 25 years ago I have ringworm or jock itch in my groin and butt area it clears up by antifungal cream nizoral that time, as of this time I have still issue on some small ringworm on below the groin area but it clears by applying antifungal. With regards to my penis glan is it safe if I try to put some antifungal cream on it. Is there any instances that any fungal infection in penis head without symptom of itchiness and raise red skin not like mine which is flat reddish skin and no itching. Thank you once again sir.

Hello Again, Radford,
Ringworm is a common and prevalent skin fungus that may recur or be spread easily between children and adults, or adults and adults. Much like athlete's foot, it can recur when it is exposed to warm and moist conditions-- like what is in-between your toes, on the bottom of some people's feet, and in the groin.  Sometimes it can develop under the arms, breasts, and abdominal flab, where-ever the skin touches other skin and continues to be warm and moist.  The key to getting rid of it is keeping area cool and dry, avoid contact with others who may have it or in environmental areas known to harbor skin fungi (bath houses, gym shower and pool areas), and of course to treat yourself for at least a week after all symptoms have totally resolved.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons