Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Genital herpes/warts or fordyce spots

Question
Normal scrotum
Normal scrotum  

Stretched shaft
Stretched shaft  
Hey I am 16 years old and have recently noticed small white bumps around my genitals. They are on my shaft but mostly on the back side, my scrotum especially the part closest to my shaft, and in between my thigh and scrotum. I play a lot of sports and sweat but I do not know if they are fordyce spots or genital herpes/warts. You can't really see them unless I am erected, squeze my shaft or move my scrotum around to make them visible. My scrotum has a few bumps towards to top and the sides. I have looked online at many pictures and they look nothing like pink or red or many of the pictures I see describing genital warts or herpes. They are not painful at all but sometimes I do receive a slight itch in between my scrotum and thigh. They are small and do not look infected nor show any type of puss or cuts. I am really not sure what to do or what they are if you could please let me know I would greatly be appreciated. I have a serious girlfriend who I have had to lie to because I do not know what to tell her I have just been making up reason why she should not continue and give me oral sex. Thanks so much for reading this and I hope it helps.

Answer
Greetings,

I wish I knew what to call you other than "basketball," but hello nonetheless! Yes, they are Fordyce's! With that said, let me clarify a few things for you: no they aren't a disease, they are inherited, and you cant pass them onto someone else (so there's harm in having some safe fun!) Fordyce's is a skin condition characterized by deep sebaceous glands that have trapped sebum and have formed into pustules that you would commonly know as "whiteheads" or pimples except that there is no whitehead. Because there is no hair follicle, there is no opening in which to introduce air or allow the sebum to escape therefore the oil sits there until it heals and disperses. Fordyce's will eventually heal itself, but since you have a moderate case you should know that they do and will come back. You're so young so you'll experience this for a long time and you have many years of development to go before you start noticing it tapering off. What I can promise you is that as you get older it does get better. At 32, I barely notice mine anymore, but I'm double your age :P Please don't pop them as you can scar and they can become infected and that's pretty bad. If you feel that its to much to deal with then you can consult with a dermatologist and have them removed in-house, but please know that they can come back. If you have follow-up let me know.

Cheers mate,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice