Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Irritated penile shaft after boils

Question
Skin irritation
Skin irritation  

Skin irritation
Skin irritation  
Hello. A few days ago I developed two boils. One on my inner thigh and one on my scrotum. I popped the boils and, afterward read that was bad advice. They seem to be healing but I developed a skin irritation that I am sending you an image of yesterday. I have had irritated and inflamed hair follicles before. They were confirmed by a doctor and you can see the scar from an older one in the photo. The skin irritations sting when soap is applied but is otherwise painless. I am worried because the irritation in the first photo had previously appeared on my skin for 3-4 days a few weeks ago. I have actually never had sex before. I do get cold sores and am worried that I have spread the virus to my genitals. I also feel it may be possible that these irritations are the result of bacteria from my popped boils getting into the hair follicle. I recently lost my job so I need to wait for my health insurance sign up to kick in before I see a doctor otherwise I would. What does this look like to you?

Answer
Hi Steve,
I think the last part of your question is correct. The bumps & boils are from bacteria causing infection of the hair follicles. Moist heat followed by antibiotic cream/ointment should help them resolve. Avoid squeezing or pressing them, as the pressure will push the germs and pus along the path of least resistance, into the skin as well as to the outside. That makes things worse.  It isn't herpes, even though you have had cold sores before. Unless you have a severe disruption of your body's immune system, it is usually not possible to auto-innoculate herpes from your lip to your penis (or elsewhere).  

Good luck!
mark

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar