Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Gonorrhea transmission

Question
Hi Dr.
I'm a gay male and haven't had much experience. I am just starting to experiment now that I have recently outed myself to my family. My question is pertaining to a guy I did not have intercourse or oral with.  I gave him a hand job and also some anal fingering but that was the jist of our encounter. Reason being, I noticed blood in his cum and first thing I thought of was STD.   I have read other posts that gonorrhea is spread via sexual contact/not through the blood but is that in all cases?  My finger that was in his rectum is extremely swollen from the nail bed to the first knuckle, it's red in color, warm to the touch, and it is pretty sore. It may have had a small cut from trimming my finger nails with a clipper but that's about it. Did my finger just catch an STD?
Thanks
j

Answer
Hello Jay,
The most likely problem is what we call a "felon," which is an infection of the tip of the finger, usually caused by germs that may enter through a cut or scratch on the finger around the fingernail.  A herpetic whitlow is an infection by herpes of the finger (usually fingertip at margin of nail; some experts refer to a herpes infection anywhere other than the mouth or anogenital area as a herpetic whitlow).

Gonorrhea usually affects the urethra of the penis, the throat/tonsils, anorectum, and the cervix (in women!). More rarely, it may disseminate to cause a disseminated infection of a joint.  

My guess is that your infection is not an STD, but a staph infection that does require immediate medical attention, with antibiotics and possibly a surgical procedure known as an I&D (incision and drainage).  

Good luck! Go to an urgent care or your doctor immediately!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar