Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HPV??

Question
Glands
Glands  

Shaft
Shaft  
Dear Dr. Behar,

I am 21yo Male, Czech Republic. I have these bumps on my penis and I am not sure if that is a sign of the HPV virus. It does not itch or anything, I do not feel it at all. My girlfriend got HPV from me and she has abnormal cells on her cervix and we are waiting for her doctor'results. I am not sure if my HPV is active or not, is there any way to test whether I are infected or not? and to test which type of HPV I could have?
I have been to a dermatologist, but she only looked at it for about 2s and said that it is nothing to worry about that it's just something to do with the glands and gave my Polysan cream for the night. Can You please tell me your opinion on this?

Answer
Hello James,
The "bumps" shown on the photo appear to be normal variations in the skin, including pearly penile papules on the glans corona (rim of the head).  You may have HPV infection as most adults do, but the photos do not show evidence of HPV or warts.  HPV of course is a microscopic-sized virus not visible to the eye, but infected skin sometimes turns white when vinegar is applied to the skin for 30-60 seconds and then examined with a bright light. There is no good way to detect HPV of the penis unless classic warts are observed. The actual DNA test to detect the serotype of virus requires a cytology (cell sample from something like a Pap smear, which can't be done from the penis), or a biopsy of the skin which is not usually done on the penis either. Infection with HPV probably happened with both you and your partner whenever you had one of your first sexual encounters with someone else. In most people, the immune system usually is able to effectively "fight" off the infection and prevent it from both replicating and spreading to others within a few years of first infection.

The dermatologist was probably right, and that this is nothing to loose sleep about!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar