Sexually Transmitted Diseases/valtrex

QUESTION: hi my doc gave me valtrex in this dosage 3 Grams every day for 7 days but i dnt have anything no herpes.... she wanet to be sure... i was reading the max dosage if or u have the outbreak is 2 grams per day... it's over 6 months and i feel like the medicine destroyed my gut... igot like a small rash on my bodh ezcema hives... my body was itching... i never had herpes or anything else....

don't know what to do ??? i feel this is not my body ... like the medicine destroyed my gut  everthing inside me ....

what do u think am waiting for my insurance in one month and then i can see the othe doc to check my self and see whats wrong thank u

ANSWER: Hello John,
No herpes, no need for taking valtrex.  Valtrex (valacyclovir) is an antiviral very specific against herpes simplex virus.  It does nothing to gut bacteria, so no need to worry!! It is not associated with hives or eczema either. You didn't mention what other medical problems you have, or your current medications, or level of anxiety.

Good luck!

QUESTION: honestly am a prof boxer always was healthy... my problems startef after using that dosage of valtrex.. the 4 day i had a weird taste in my mouth... after using the full dosage 3 day i got like stomach pain .. and the problem is the gitl with who i had sex she's clean and she was tested.... am not sure what to do... and she gave me diflucan to....

am really scared and have crazy anxiethy bc i never had any problem with my health... i was reading on the valtrex forum that some persons who are using it got white tongue and on the web in valtrex side effects i found a lot of that i had ... but thank u for ur help

Hello John,
I reviewed the product informational insert for valtrex and weird taste is not one of them.  But you mentioned you were a professional boxer. Had you ever sustained a head injury or loss of consciousness during one of your bouts? Note, that facial fractures (including the nose and sinuses), can allow nasty secretions to go up and down the nose/throat, and these may be from your stomach as well as from your sinuses, which can explain bad taste. This may have been coincidental to your taking the valtrex. Stomach pain too, can be associated with acid reflux, ulcers, and injury to the cardiac sphicter of the stomach (which can increase chance of acid reflux), as well as constipation.  You see, there can be lots of reasons for your symptoms, but the valtrex or diflucan may not be one of them. Even if they were, those side effects would go away after completion of the medications.  

I would not be scared or have crazy anxiety, but would seek out health care locally to someone who can provide you with the reassurances and explanations that you need.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons