Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Yeast infection

Question
Dear Doctor,
     I am 17 years old and I live in Jamaica. I think I have a terrible yeast infection, for 5 years. When I was about 12 years old, I remember experiencing vaginal discharge for the first time. At first I thought it was premenstrual symptoms and I couldn’t wait to have my first menstrual cycle since everybody else my age had started. The following year I started my menstrual cycle, for 5 days per month (NEVER HAD IRREGULAR CYCLE). I still had vaginal discharge and I tried hot water baths but still the discharge was still there. As the years go by, my period changed from 5 days to 7-8 days and my vulva darkened and I also had bumps coming up occasionally and then disappearing. This had affected my self-esteem and so I hid this from parents and I didn't want to visit any doctor, I tried many home remedies including garlic insertion and hot/ room temperature baking soda water baths and hydrocortisone. (All Failed). Finally, I decided to visit a doctor and he prescribed 1 pill since I was a virgin and still a virgin but the symptoms didn’t go away (that is discharge, red bumps that leaves back spots, mild itching). Whenever I shave, I get razor bumps and it leaves spots behind, the bumps are along the bikini area, and they don’t disappear. Also, I have constipation for one year and no prescribed pill worked, do you think my yeast has something to do with it? Do I have a yeast infection because my symptoms seem like it?
         Concerned Female.

Answer
Hello Kerry,
It is not likely that you have had a vaginal yeast infection for 5 consecutive years!  Even if you have untreated diabetes or some other immunologic dysfunction, it is not likely.  Vaginal discharge without itching is normal, and is called physiologic vaginal discharge.  Mucous is normally secreted by the cervix, and the inner lining of vaginal and vulvar cells are periodically shed during the normal phases of cell turnover.  These cells combine with the mucous, and appear whitish or with whitish clumps.  The same thing happens elsewhere on the skin, but without the mucous!

The vulvar bumps that come and go are also NORMAL variations of how the skin down there responds to your normal monthly hormonal fluctuations.  The razor bumps are from shaving trauma due to the injury of the skin and underlying oil and hair follicles.  Stop shaving and the bumps should go away within a few weeks, or use an electric/battery operated "buzz" shaver, so the skin doesn't get injured.  Your constipation is from not eating enough fiber like fresh fruit and vegetables, and not drinking enough water.

Stop using the hydrocortisone, garlic, baking soda and other things that won't treat something that is NORMAL and can't be treated!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar