Sexually Transmitted Diseases/red dots on top of penis

Question
pic
pic  
QUESTION: age: 23 country: USA

so for about two months now I've noticed these red dots on the top of my penis. I have been sexually active with a few girls, and but have never noticed that any had any diseases. the dots don't flare up and they don't itch or hurt at all when i urinate.  If you inspect them really closely you can go over the skin and see that the texture of the skin is a little rougher over the red dots than the normal skin feels.  If you look closely, i guess you can say that the skin is a tiny bit white or scabby looking but its really hard to tell. I'm thinking this isn't herpes because I've had no blistering, doesn't hurt to urinate, and its been pretty much the same looking since 2 months ago.  But then again I read online that everyone has different symptoms for herpes.  I do have dry skin, and I have had some fungal bacteria infections before. Is this herpes?

ANSWER: Hello Joe,
No, this is NOT herpes. Your photo looks like you are UNCIRCUMCISED, and the underside of the foreskin and the glans (head) is moist.  It is characteristic for the top layer of skin cells in uncirc'd penises to become rubbed off due to friction associated with inadequate lubrication, and what is then visible are these flat red dots.  In other words, these are normal surface capillaries that become uncovered with friction from sex.  They're always there, but just aren't always visible.  Use a silicone based lube during sex, and don't let the friction become too intense and everything should be fine. It should heal up in a few weeks! For more information about herpes, check out this link: http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: Mark, thanks for your response.

I actually am circumcised since I was very little. The top looks moist because I recently put on Lubriderm the past couple of days to see if it would do anything, but it hasn't really been working. Does this change your opinion on anything?

Answer
Hi Again, Joe,
Whoops! Sorry for the wrong guess about your circ'd status.  I think that the problem may still be friction induced. Do you recall any especially vigorous sexual activity prior to each onset of these red dots? Or, do you recall any prior skin conditions anywhere-- on your wrists, fingers, ankles, or elsewhere? It could reflect a skin condition known as "lichen nitidus."  The bottom line is that it is NOT an STD.  However, more information is needed to determine exactly what it is.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar