Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Urgent !

Bumpy head
Bumpy head  
QUESTION: I've had these for about 8 months now and I don't know what they are can you please help ?

ANSWER: Hello Eric,
Lots of things can cause blemishes like what you are experiencing on the head (glans) of your penis. HPV infection/warts can be the cause, but so can many other benign skin conditions. The best advice is for you to see someone who can examine your penis directly.  You may wish to apply plain vinegar to the head, and leave it wet for 30-60 seconds, and then reexamine and/or photograph.  If the white areas turn really white, than it probably is due to HPV.  If they stay the same color, than it probably is not.  Nothing to freak out about, but just having someone help you with the diagnosis may put you at ease.

Good luck!

Bumpy head
Bumpy head  

Bumpy head
Bumpy head  
QUESTION: Thank you for responding so fast I appreciate it but the area is tingly not painful and when I pee it doesn't hurt I will send another picture so you can see from a different angle

Hi Again, Eric,
The two followup photos look perfectly normal.  The texture of skin on the head (glans) can range from fairly smooth, to somewhat rough-- all normal variations.   Examine when soft and erect, and you probably will observe that when hard, the skin obviously stretches, smoothing out the tiny "imperfections" that you may have noted when you're not erect.  

I don't think you need to worry about it.  The tingly sensation may also be a normal sensation that all guys occasionally get anywhere from their testicles (balls), perineum, to the shaft and head of their penis.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons