Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Penis Rash

Last Thursday a rash developed on my penis. I had just come back from the gym and hadn't showered or washed my hands and I masturbated (very unhygienic I know, I wasn't thinking). After I finished I took a shower. When I was getting out of the shower I felt a tingling on my penis and looked down and there were some red bumps around the base of the shaft, and a few sporadically on other parts of the shaft. The back of the shaft was also red and inflamed. Over the next few days, the bumps turned into a raised and dry rash which I can describe best as looking eczema-ish. The back of the shaft would often get very dry and have a white coating (looked like dead skin) over it, and was still red and inflamed.

In addition, after a couple days the front of my scrotum also turned red and inflamed. When I would wake up in the morning, it would look red and scaly almost like psoriasis.

I had unprotected sex twice with two different partners the week before all this happened. I went to an STI clinic and got checked out, and he suspected it was herpes but that it didn't look like a common case of herpes. He said that perhaps I have had cold sores on my lips before and built up some immunity or something.

I am waiting on the blood work but I don't know when it will come in and I am nervous. I am hopeful that it is not herpes because of a few things:
1) The rash developed almost immediately after I masturbated after the gym
2) There was never any liquid in the rash, to get a sample the doctor had to "sandpaper" it with a swab until it was bleeding
3) I never developed any scabs like I've seen in pictures.

Today marks one week after it started and the rash is going away, in the places where it was the skin is red and a little glossy. I haven't used any kind of treatment other than frequent washing.

Do I definitely have herpes? Or could it be something else?

The bumps you're referring to are epidermal abrasions caused by unlubricated masturbation and any form of sexual activity can do that. I recommend investing in a water or silicone based lubricant to prevent future abrasions from occurring. They generally disappear within a few days, but a few dabs of hydrocortisone applied to the area typically speeds up healing time. As for the rest of the rash on your body, its possible that it was an unrelated case of jock itch and you can treat that with your typical ointments or sprays (which are better in my opinion) and follow the instructions as directed. But it isn't herpes at all. Let me know if you have follow-up.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice

Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.

3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.