Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Red Shiny spot on penis head

Question
Shiny spot
Shiny spot  

Shiny spot
Shiny spot  
I am 25yr old male and I just recently developed a new red shinny spot on the bottom part of my penis head. Had it for about 2 weeks now, right after I noticed a pigmentation change on my penis head, http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=2106&expID=76704&qID=5051859 .     It's red shiny and seems to look smooth.  Doesn't itch or burn or any other form of pain. Just want to know if it's something that will go away on its on or I need to use some type of treatment.

Answer
Hi Sonny,

Pigmentation changes are actually normal, but they normally occur over a period of time. I have a mole on the glans of my penis and its been there for 15 years, so this may be caused by chaffing or dry skin. Its more consistent with an abrasion burn from masturbation or sexual intercourse, but you didn't mention that in your response, so I'll just add this for context. They usually heal within a few days and in order to avoid them I would recommend using a water or silicone based lubricant to prevent them in the future. If this really is a pigmentation change then make sure you have your dermatologist check it out once a year to make sure it doesn't change in color, size, or shape because that may be an indication of melanoma.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice