Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Appropriate Soap For HSV II & HPV

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mark,

Sorry to bother you again.  I thought of another question to make sure I am safe with HSV II and HPV.  Is a non antibacterial soap good enough?  I am a massage therapist, so it is important I do the best thing here.  

There are two soaps I use that are not antibacterial.  One has Organic Calendula and Organic Comfrey Infused Saponofied Oils of Organic Coconut, Organic Sunflower and Organic Castor, and Citric Acid. That's it.

And the other only has Organic Traditional Saponified Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil.

Would both of these be enough or do I need to be using a stronger soap?  One is only coconut oil, I am surprised that is a cleanser.  I knew it was a moisturizer.

Thank you again for all you do.  I deeply value your time.
Star
35 years old
Oklahoma City, OK/United States

ANSWER: Hello Again, Star,
Antibacterial soaps are all thought to be no more effective than nonbacterial soaps. The physical act of physically washing  with any soap and water without damaging the skin or causing excessive dryness, is thought to be the recommended practice, and alcohol based hand sanitizing lotion/gels are also effective.  Although I am unaware of specific tests designed to determine if soaps can inactivate viruses, the idea is to remove superficial germs.  As HSV involves a peripheral nerve infection with virus being shed from the nerve and superficial skin, washing by itself with or without soap will be essentially ineffective. Similarly, HPV is an infection not of the surface of the skin, but involves deeper cellular infection by virus and therefore soap isn't enough to get rid of the virus. Placing a bandaid over the suspected lesions should be sufficient to prevent those particular viruses being spread to you.

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: Dear Mark,

Thank you for your thorough explanations.  I am asymptomatic and not sure when I am shedding or where I shed from.  I guess my biggest concern is after going to the bathroom and making sure my hands are not passing either of these viruses (HPV & HSV II) to my clients.

You state, “Although I am unaware of specific tests designed to determine if soaps can inactivate viruses, the idea is to remove superficial germs.  As HSV involves a peripheral nerve infection with virus being shed from the nerve and superficial skin, washing by itself with or without soap will be essentially ineffective.”

I guess I am concerned about the ineffective part.  If washing my hands is ineffective after I wipe after going to the bathroom, aren’t I a threat to my massage clients for both HPV and HSV II?  They shave all the time and are likely to have cuts I can’t even see or maybe I don’t notice it until it’s too late.
Thank you again for all of your efforts.  My deepest gratitude,
Star
35 years old
Oklahoma City, OK/United States

ANSWER: Hello Again, Star,
Any soap that is not irritating to the skin is effective, as long as moisture in retained (so as to not dry it out).  Soap, like other things, may be specific to your particular skin, and some may be fine for some people but not others. Mild soaps are usually white or beige in color (like Dove, Jergins, Camay, Tone, etc.); strong soaps have blue or green dyes or strong fragrances (Lever 2000, Dial, Zest, Shield, Irish Spring, etc.).  Super mild soaps may be needed for very sensitive skins (e.g., Basis).

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: Dear Mark,

As always, thank you so much for your helpful replies.  I think I understand where you are coming from, but I do not want to assume.  It sounds to me like what you are saying is something like this:  That soap technically does not inactivate certain virus/bacteria.  But, it is still effective enough for things like HSV II and HPV?  By washing my hands for the time indicated on the product, I will not then be spreading HSV II or HPV?  I feel bad continuing to reach out to you for guidance, but I guess I am still feeling a little uncertain.  

I guess I just want to make sure that I am being ethical by not putting anyone at risk for contracting HSV II and HPV.  That washing my hands for 20 seconds after using the bathroom is enough to prevent me from spreading HSV II and HPV during a professional massage?  I am asymptomatic with HSV II, so I do not know when I am contagious.  Currently, the HPV is under control, but I want to know in case it silently reactivates?

I do apologize, but thank you so very much for helping me come to terms with this.

Star
35 years old
Oklahoma City, OK/United States

Answer
Hello Again, Starr,
No, soaps of any kind (except perhaps surgical scrubs used prior to the operating room) are mostly INEFFECTIVE in inactivating germs of any kind. They wash most of them away. If herpes or HPV are on your skin, they may be washed way with any soap. However if you have an active herpes or HPV lesion, they may remove the superficial germs, but if virus is being actively shed, washing will not be 100% effective. If the site of your active lesion is covered with clothing, there is no way it can be spread regardless of how much or little you wash.

You may benefit from reading the literature on microbiology and the transmission of disease, or take a class on this at a local community college or university.  

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar