Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Bumps

Question
Bumps
Bumps  
Hello,

Today I went to get checked and the doctor only did a pee and blood test for STI check. I was super disappointed because I was looking for peace of mind. She said if I did have Genital warts I would likely be able to tell. So I went home, and for the first time ever looked down there very thoroughly. I have the little bumps, and I'm freaking out. I was also checked in September, and didn't have anything. Can you please tell what you think? I don't know what is normal for down there. Thanks in advance

Answer
Anne,

The little "bumps" you're referring to are called squamous papilloma and are a normal anatomical variation in sexually developing women. Skin tags and warts are completely different types of growths and are quite noticeable and usually a different color from the rest of the surrounding tissue. It's great that you went to get a check up! Make sure to also get a pap smear every three years to check for cervical cancer risk and to assess for HPV among other things, but everything looks fine right now.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice