Sexually Transmitted Diseases/gonorrhea

Question
I'm a 30 year old American male, living in South Korea.

3 days ago I received unprotected oral sex, from a sex worker. I did not ejaculate while receiving oral sex.

With in 24 hours of the act, I got and took the CDC recommended antibiotic single dose regimen, oral not injection, for gonorrhea. (I am acting as if I have 100% chance of contracting the disease for safety sake.)  

1. Is taking this medicine this early effective against possible contraction / infection of the disease?

2. Or is it so early that it will not work because the bacteria has not incubated?  Will it kill the bacteria anyways, before it can even incubate?

3. Is it accurate to take a test of cure, seven days after taking the medicine?

Thanks,

Steve

Answer
Hello Steve,
The CDC's guidelines for gonorrhea are designed for people in the US, since there is more evidence of antibiotic resistance, especially to gonorrhea, and especially in SE Asia. You could follow the CDC's recommendations for high risk for antibiotic resistance, as you did not mention which specific antibiotic and dosing regimen you chose.  Note, that chlamydia is more common than gonorrhea, and the treatment may be different.

Taking correct medication early is effective against contracting gonorrhea. If the germ is present, regardless of whether you have symptoms or not, than it should be effective treated with the correct antibiotic.

Test of cures are not necessarily recommended, but if you do it, it somewhat depends on which tests you use. The commonly used DNA test is very sensitive, and may cause false positive if you do it within 2 or 3 weeks of treatment if you were really positive before.

Hope this is helpful!
--mark

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar