Sexually Transmitted Diseases/possible std



For the past 4 and a half months I have felt that my vagina has changed for the worse. At first it started with these bumps that don't look like an std, they're not itchy or hurt whatsoever. However sometimes when I have sex they tend to hurt/burn a bit. I went into the ER (I only have emergency health insurance) and they checked it out and ruled out yeast infection, UTI, and also told me that it wasn't an STD and perhaps something has just irritated my vagina so that I should use sensitive laundry detergents and wear cotton panties etc. I did all of that but the bumps never went away. I thought maybe they were just gonna stay and since they weren't painfu, I just forgot about it. I had no problem until a few weeks ago. My vagina was super red, I had white cloudy discharge, and it would burn when I peed. Since I don't have insurace my gfs mom told me it was most likely a yeast infection. I bought monistat, finished the treatment and I felt fine for a week and then once again, the discharge is white with a bit of a yellow and my vagina itches again. I started having intercourse with my girlfriend around the time the bumps came in, she got tested for std and it was negative. I honestly don't have a clue as to what it could be and since I don't have insurance I can't just get checked, any ideas as to what it could be? It would really help! Please and thank you!


The bumps by themselves are completely normal and are actually called squamous papilloma. They are considered to be expected in sexually developing women. Normally you have them checked every 3 years during a pap smear to assess likelihood of cervical cancer. So it seems like what you're really dealing with is a yeast infection or pH problem more likely. Since you don't have insurance (I know the feeling!) I would recommend contacting Planned Parenthood for their discount medical services and to get checked up just in case this is a bacterial infection and it wouldn't hurt to get on a prescription like Diflucan just in case. But in the meantime, you might want to try another course of Monistat again to calm down the symptoms. Let me know if you have follow-up.



Sexually Transmitted Diseases

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Brice


Educated and certified in STI information, HIV and AIDS, and trained in comprehensive sex education for teens and young adults. Providing counseling in sexuality, sexual interests, and sexual orientations, pregnancy prevention, safer sex initiatives, and teaching health education seminars to adults ages 18-65 for the past 3 years. Serve underserved clients in homeless shelters, workplace readiness programs, and detention centers. Three term AmeriCorps domestic service volunteer and Peace Corps nominee for Health Service to Lesotho and Rwanda. Providing services to the GLBTQIA populations of which I am a member.


3 years as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (Advanced) for 3 years and comprehensive sex educator for 3 years and parenting educator for 3 years. *North Carolina State Certified Emergency Medical Technician, #P083512 *Certified Health Education Specialist, #22589

*American Public Health Association *National Commission on Health Education Credentialing

American Public Health Association, Student Assembly, Quarterly Newsletter 2012-2014

*Doctor of Education (candidate), K-12 Teacher Leadership; Capella University *Master of Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences; Capella University *Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction; Concordia University-Portland *Bachelor of Arts, Psychology and English; East Carolina University

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Distinction from Capella University AllExperts, Top Experts of 2014 (One and Multiple Categories)

Past/Present Clients
*Over 180 clients, lasting 30 sessions, in 5 locations during Florida service. *Over 150 clients, lasting 18 sessions, in 2 locations during South Carolina service.

©2017 All rights reserved.