Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Question

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I have some sort of bumps on my penis and I wanted to get advice as to what it looks like to you. I have had the bumps for as long as i can remember. Do you have an email i can send you a picture at?

Thanks,

Adam

ANSWER: Adam,

You can submit pictures via the AllExperts service and switch your question to private so that only I have access to the images, but if you want you can also send your query to jbrice1982@gmail.com.

Cheers,

John

QUESTION: What can I do at home to get rid of these warts? I have had them forever and I don't recall them changing. Will they go away on their own? Should I apply benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid? Can I apply any foot wart remover to the genital region? Also, what does this mean? Am I at risk to develop cancer? What percent of people have these warts? Are they really rare or common? I don't feel comfortable talking to my parents about this because I am gay but not out. Thanks for your help.

Answer
Adam,

Since you didn't include an image with your query, I'll give you what advice I can. About half of all sexually active adults will get HPV at some point in their lives. There are two types of HPV: low and high risk HPV. Most people, of course, will encounter low risk HPV and these are the types of warts that will never develop pass the warts that can eventually be removed by a doctor or even defeated by your own body. High risk HPV is much rarer and accounts for 5% of all cancers worldwide. If you want to test your own "bumps" to see if they are viral or pre-cancerous tissue, then use a Q-Tip and place it in white vinegar. Rub the solution on whatever bump you want to test out; if the bump turns white like a sheet of paper then the bump tests positive for high risk HPV. However, if the tissue stays pink like the rest of your skin, then the tissue is normal and the vinegar could actually kill the tissue for you! If you want second opinions of how to deal with your possible "warts" then please consult with your primary care provider.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice