Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Red marks

Question
angle 2
angle 2  
redness
redness  
QUESTION: I have had red dry marks on my Gland for some time now back and forth, I feel it is getting worse. I went to my provider the other day and she is sending pictures to a Dermi, but she pointed out small bumps that I have't noticed before, again I have noticed the red dryish skin. She doesn't seem very well informed and automatically said maybe herpes. I have not been sexually active in a few years because of this disorder, it has been treated as fungal in the past and still comes back. I am very scared since she used the word herpes and now I have to wait for the dermi to get back to her, another opinion would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello CW,
The images absolutely do NOT LOOK LIKE herpes to me. Herpes is a recurrent skin infection caused by a virus that  travels along a peripheral nerve from the nerve root near the spine to periodically infect the skin.  It comes, and then goes into remission over the course of 1-3 weeks, and may recur again many months, years, or decades later. Check out the <http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/default.htm>  website for more information about herpes.

It is often far easier to tell what you DON'T have than what you do have!  It does have certain characteristics of a skin fungus, and for that reason, I would try you on something like terbinefine (Lamisil) anti-fungal cream, available without a prescription.

It could also be a skin condition, unrelated to sex at all. You didn't mention if you have any chronic skin conditions, or whether you had anything else, or are taking any medications for any reason.  

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: Thank you for your time, if it was a fungus would there be any characteristics of herpes? Along the ring of there head there are little bumps I haven't noticed in the past. They do not a pear to be fluid filled though. I do not have any skin conditions that I know of. I don't know if you can see the bumps at the base of the head in the picture. I couldn't get it to focus any closer. Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Again, CW,
No photo in most current post, so I cannot comment about the bumps that you see. Herpes is a viral infection. Fungal infections are caused by fungi. Two separate conditions, and they both look and progress/regress very differently. Try to upload photo, and I can look at it!

Good luck!
--mark

bumps
bumps  

bumps 2
bumps 2  
QUESTION: These are the best pictures I can get of the bumps, they are in a row along the edge of the head. I have no lt had any pain like I read about with herpes, nor fluid coming from them. But there is slight discomfort and a lot of dryness from the red areas.

Answer
Hi Again, CW,
These bumps look like the perfectly normal variation in skin sometimes known as pearly penile papules. Usually, they are much more prominent than what you have.  Nothing to worry about, and no it is NOT herpes.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar