Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HIV risk, semen on anus

Question
I'm a 23 years old male. I had sex with an unknown person a couple of months ago but I still feel uneasy about the situation. We didn't have anal sex. I gave him unprotected oral sex when I had a little bit of sorethroat. And the morning later I really had sore throat, I think because it was already irritated before I performed oral sex and after oral sex it got worse. So I was wondering if I am at risk of contacting HIV knowing that I had a sore throat when I performed an unprotected oral sex? And after oral sex, he came on his stomach. After cleaning himself, he bend over me, poking me with his penis while I was masturbating. So he poked around and on my anus for a while, and I was feeling that his penis was wet, most probably because he had semen on it still. I might have had some cuts on my anus that day because I shaved that part. Is it possible to get HIV like this?

Thanks a lot for your help,
John

Answer
Hello John,
Semen and precum is somewhat alkaline, and having it in your already mildly irritated throat can probably increase the irritation on the day after. And if your friend was HIV positive (without being on medications), his cum on your abrased anus does put you at some degree of increased risk.  I would have yourself checked now, and in 2-3 months; if you have an ability to use post exposure prophylaxis (within 72 hours after potential exposure), than that might be something to initiate now. However, it is not a likely scenario that you would get HIV infected from such an activity.  

Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is also something to consider and discuss with your health care provider.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar