Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HPV Scare

Question
Hi Mark,

My name is Kristin, I'm 30, and I live in Canada. I have some concerns about HPV. A little over a year ago, I found a wart on my partner's penis. The wart was refractory to treatment and my partner and I abstained from sex from then on. Him and I have since broken up and I've been talking to someone new and haven't had any sexual contact whatsoever. I have no warts that I can see. I've done the vinegar test multiple times. I haven't found any outward symptoms of HPV. I've always assumed that my ex got his HPV infection from me - He is a strong proponent of condom use and initially told me that he never has unprotected sex. Several months into our relationship, for reasons unclear to me, he changed his mind about that. Several months later I found a wart on his penis. I understand that condoms never would have protected him completely and I'm not necessarily the source of his infection but if I am, that means I was exposed at least 6 months prior...and that would put me at around the magical 2 year mark for 'clearance', whatever that really means. I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner to get a pap test done in about a month. I have a good feeling the result of that test will be normal and if it is, how cautious should I be moving forward? Is it worth discussing the fact that I might have had an HPV infection with a future partner, or would it only serve to pass on to them the same kind of anxiety and paranoia that I've experienced and cause unnecessary strain on the relationship? Do I now need to worry about getting warts in the future, like if I become pregnant? Sorry if this was a bit long-winded. I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Answer
Hello Kirstin,
Almost all people who are sexually active are thought to be infected with HPV.  Therefore, aside from usual precautions such as proper wearing of condoms, nothing else need be done.  A 2 year "clearance" is hypothetical, but no one really knows what this means!! Be forever vigilant, but if no warts show up after two years following infection, it is probably not likely to show up.  Yes, that vigilance includes becoming pregnant, and getting necessary pelvic exams to make sure that warts do not appear.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar