Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HPV scare

Question
Hi John,

I have some concerns regarding HPV. My last partner developed a wart on his penis while we were in a relationship. It appeared several months after we started having unprotected sex, so I've always been under the assumption that he got it from me. In any case, I've never had any visible warts myself and since it's been over a year since I've had any sexual contact, I'm wondering if I'm ever going to have any problems. Obviously, I'd be horrified if the next person I sleep with suddenly got some genital warts. I'm just wondering how cautious I should be moving forward. I have a pap test scheduled and assuming the results are normal, can I safely assume that my immune system has 'cleared' the infection? Is my 'HPV scare' something that I should mention to future partners, or will it only serve to pass on to them the same kind of anxiety and paranoia that I've experienced?

Answer
MK,

Unless you've been confirmed to actually have the STI, then don't assume you have HPV. With that said, it IS possible that you had it and passed it to your partner, but you show no symptoms yourself and you likely never will. HPV can be a funky STI in that nearly 50% of all sexually active people will get it in their lifetime, and yet sometimes people never show symptoms because their immune systems kill the virus. So perhaps your partner does show active infection, but he should be evaluated separately from you. Actually, you can test to see if his "wart" tests positive for HPV by dipping a QTip in household vinegar and rubbing the solution over the bump. If the area turns WHITE, then that's a positive sign for pre-cancerous or viral tissue, but if it stays PINK like the surrounding tissue then its completely benign and nothing to worry about. Let me know what happens.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice