Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Syphillis Testing

Question
Hello Mr. Behar,
   My name is Alex. I am 23 years of age and currently residing in Canada. I had a question about getting tested for possible syphillis infection. I performed an oral on this guy who I met without a condom. I did not engage in any other further activity. Within the first 3 months I started to feel un well and I had attributed it to the flu/ cold virus that was going around at the time. However, I began to think that what I was feeling had something to do with what I had done a few months before. I went to my local sexual health clinic and explained to them what happened. I did a rapid test for HIV and it was negative. They had told me the risk was low bur the risk for chlamydia and gonorrhea along with syphillis was moderate. I did a swab test and urine test for them (except for syphillis). They turned out negative as well. I am wondering about syphillis tests and symptoms. Do symptoms happen in everyone. I have watched myself over the past few months and didn't see any symptoms. I'm a concerned that I may not have had symptoms but may be infected. When I performed the oral, I did not exchange or receive any fluid as well, I did not not see any visible chancres or sores. At this point a blood test would be the logical step to see if I was exposed. As such, is there a window period in which I have to wait to see if I was infected? Additionally, if the expose happened say more than a year ago but less than 2, will the infection still be in my blood or be detectable? Thank you for your time in answering this question. All the best ~Alex

Answer
Hello Alex,
Thanks for your thoughtful questions.  Although syphilis is thought of as the "great imitator" due to it's signs and symptoms mimicking so many other more benign conditions, a blood test can accurately detect presence of antibody to syphilis anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months after infection.  The antibody test remains positive ("reactive") until it is properly treated with injectible penicillin (unless a person is penicillin allergic). If you were infected a year or ten years ago, and never received effective treatment, than this blood test will most certainly be reactive.  In any event penicillin will be effective, and a blood test is warranted.  

Hope this addresses your concerns. Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar