Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Follicultitis or Cold Sore

Question
Corner of lower lips
Corner of lower lips  
Hi Doctor,
I noticed this morning that I developed a bump on the cover of my lower lip. I tried to squeeze it this morning and some white pus came out. It is now a red bump and it doesn't hurt to touch. It itches a little and it comes and goes.  It does not tingle though

I'm afraid that it is a cold sore.....  I have never had a cold sore in my life.  However, I have kissed several new partners recently in the past 6 weeks.  No intercourse. Just kissed and licked upper body

any advice?

I went to see the doctor and he told me to take Elovax as a precaution as it does no harm.   But how can I tell the difference between folliculiitis vs cold sores?  I know time will tell which one is which, but I'm a bit anxious.

Thanks

Answer
Jazee,

Those are Fordyce's spots. They are genetically inherited cysts, so it's a skin trait for lack of a better explanation. They do not go away to my knowledge although they can reduce in number on their own, but they can come back as well. I have them myself along with a great number of other clients on this site. Some people have differing amounts of the problem and although they mostly appear in the genital area, they can also appear around the mouth. It's nothing to be ashamed or alarmed about. From what I've researched, you can consult with a dermatologist regarding possible laser surgery to remove some of them, but I hear it's expensive. Let me know if you need follow up.

Cheers,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice