Sexually Transmitted Diseases/is it herpes?

Question
sores
sores  

sores
sores  
Hello doctor,

I'm a 24 yo guy who just recently had sex. About a week ago. It was with a girl i met in the bar. She said she doesn't have any STD. We used protection. But after sex, when i looked, there was some slimy liquid at the root of my penis. It was on the skin and i wiped it off with a paper towel and then i removed my condom. didn't see any breakage on the condom. But after two to three days, I'm having red spots all over the penis head and under the foreskin. They aren't painful but they are very tingly on the fore skin. On the second day there were around 30 of them in a line from the tip of penis to top. then after two more days I'm having numerous spots all over.

I tried applying yoghurt thinking it might be yeast infection and it was recommened online. but no results.

Now i'm getting itching around the penis, say the bottom of my balls.

Do you think it is herpes?. Please help

Answer
Hello Don,
The slimy liquid may be just vaginal discharge that was at the base of your penis, not covered by the condom. Some condoms and their lubricants may increase the chance of some irritation of the skin underneath the foreskin.  It is not related to a skin fungus, but yogurt does not treat anything when applied topically. If it is sweetened at all with a flavoring or fruit, it may actually have enough sugar (such as sucrose) that skin fungi may worsen.  The live lactobacilli in many types of yogurt are not effective for any type of skin fungus as well.  This doesn't mean that you DON'T have a skin fungal infection-- you may, or you may not.

You didn't mention whether you had oral sex without the condom, or if you ever had herpes in your life.  The rash does appear to have several erosions causing those little "pits" or depressions on the skin, which may represent the early stage of a desquamative process on the head (glans) when in contact with something irritating (such as saliva).  

You may need to see a knowledgeable health care provider in your area to check more thoroughly, as an in-person exam is better than a photo.  In the mean time, keep the area clean and as dry as possible, and if itching persists, try an effective antifungal cream such as terbinefine (Lamisil) or miconazole (Micatin) applied to ALL itchy area for a week.

Good luck!
--mark

P.S.  You really think this advice was so unclear and uninformative? Really?!!  Please consult your personal doctor next time.  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar