Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Unknown blemish

Question
Sore at penis base
Sore at penis base  

close up
close up  
I have a sore area at the base of my penis under my pubic hair that showed up about 48 hours ago. It was slightly painful and itchy at first and has become moderately uncomfortable. I experience cold sores on my lip at least once annually and this looks and feels similar. I had one very small one halfway up my penis several weeks ago that appeared just days after I first had unprotected sex with a new partner (on her period). I visited the doctor and he said that it was merely a pimple. I've been reading more about herpes now since I discovered this new one and have become more concerned since I learned that glands become affected and tender and initial symptoms sometimes include fever. My pubic region to the left of my penis is very tender and I experienced more than one instance of cold and flu like symptoms soon before and since I noticed the first one that was diagnosed as a pimple.

Answer
Hello Alex,
The sore looks like it could be herpes, or it could also be a staph bacterial infection. The only way to know is to have a bacterial wound culture & sensitivity and a viral DNA/NAAT, two distinct tests taken as swabs from the site.  Moist heat and antibiotic ointment to the affected area might make the condition improve if it is due to staph; taking the prescribed medications acyclovir or valacyclovir should expedite the healing if it is due to herpes.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar