Sexually Transmitted Diseases/penis

pink bump
pink bump  
QUESTION: Hey I have a small pink dot on the tip of my penis near the opening doesn't hurt nothing itches no symptoms just that showed up the other day I'm curious as to what it is and if I should be worried

ANSWER: Hello Hunter,
The dot you notice appears to be a normal blemish that should cause no worry. It is not suggestive of HPV/warts, herpes, or anything else of consequence.  The important thing is that it causes no pain, itching, or irritation. You did not mention if you have any other ongoing or chronic skin condition, although it does not look like any typical chronic skin condition in this photo.  

Good luck!

QUESTION: These little brown dots are here but they have no other symptoms of any thing I know of they don't hurt or anything and no partner has had any

ANSWER: Hello Again, Hunter,
These bumps may reflect a normal variation in the skin, or an early stage of HPV/warts.  Sometimes photographs are not clear enough to make such a distinction. Applying vinegar to the skin for 30-60 seconds and then examining for white changes in the bumps may help with the diagnosis. If it turns whitish, than it is probably due to HPV/warts. If the color remains unchanged, than it is probably only a cosmetic change.

Good luck!

QUESTION: I applied the vinegar but saw no change in color I have gotten warts on my fingers could I have hpv and it not be from sexual contact or is it nothing

Hi Again, Hunter!
Vinegar to the skin is pretty effective but not 100% in revealing warts/HPV. If HPV is present, than they become relatively whiter compared to the surrounding skin. It works most, but not all of the time, and it helps to have a bright light and magnifying glass available to inspect the skin when it is stretched.  This is not easy for someone to do themselves and therefore a health care provider may be needed to assist in this diagnosis.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons