Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Bumps and blotchy redness on head of penis

Question
Non-erect penis
Non-erect penis  

Erect penis
Erect penis  
Hello,

About 10 months ago I began seeing a new partner. After discussing our STD status (both had recently tested negative for the standard set of tests) we begin having unprotected sex. A few weeks after this, she complained to me of some irritation in her vagina, and went to get things checked out. I didn't find out until much later, but the irritation turned out to be a yeast infection.

Around the same time as her irritation, I begin to notice slight blotchiness on the head of my penis, and it took on a bumpy texture when it was erect. When this first started, the bumpy area (primarily on the top halfway between the meatus and the base of the head) would become irritated after sex, sometimes showing bright red spots, and the head of my penis would feel sore.

I have spoken with 2 different doctors about this issue in the past 9 months, as the severity of things has lessened very slightly but the bumpiness and slight blotchiness has remained unchanged over this time. One was unsure of what was going on but doubted that an STD was the cause, and the other said my penis looked normal. Neither evaluated my penis when erect, which is when the bumpiness is most apparent. The second doctor prescribed me Tetraconazole and said I could try it out to see if it helped. I applied my first dose of it this afternoon.

I am confused as to what this might be. I have never experienced any sort of itching, discharge, or blistering. The irritation occurs only after sex or masturbation. From my understanding balanitis or other yeast infections often produce itching or inflammation, and I don't seem to be experiencing either of those. Can yeast infections present themselves without itching?

I have attached two pictures. The first (lighter) is of my penis non-erect. The redness is present, but it is hard to see the bumpiness. The second is of my penis erect, where the bumpy texture is much more apparent. Do you have any insight into what could be going on? Could it just be normal skin variation that I never noticed before and am overanalyzing?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Loren,
Yes, it does look like a normal variation in the skin.  Note, you are uncircumcised, and sometimes sex with inadequate or the wrong type of lubricant can cause irritation of the underside of the foreskin and glans (head)  of the penis.  Your partner's yeast infection may have also contributed a bit of irritation as well, but I don't think you have a skin yeast infection, so the tetraconazole probably will not be effective.

It's not that you have anything, but the irritation may cause a little redness or bumpiness, but this is not unusual, and nothing to worry about!

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar