Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Multiple problems

I'm an 21-year-old boy from Romania and I have some problems (4 old ones and a new one – photo marked with 1 - They causes no pain, itching, or irritation). Some of them are inofensive, I think, but I want to be sure.
I haven't been sexually active for over five months. At the beginning of the year I had protected normal sex with a girl on his period, and then, after 3 weeks, I had protected normal sex and unprotected oral sex with another girl who is my…friend with benefits for over 4 years (she had only one other sexual partner, in December 2014, and they had only protected sex). Until then I only had the 4 problems marked with 2,3,4,5 - old problems, since childhood I think. Two weeks ago when I was shaving for the first time after 5 months, I saw those bumps (photo marked with 1). Those are my biggest concern! I mention that the brown one I think that is only a skin mole and it has over 5 years.
I can provide more clear photos if you need.
And sorry, my English is not to good.

ANSWER: Hello Aly,
You illustrated 5 different problems, and none of them look serious or suggestive of STDs.
1) These appear to be hair bumps and/or pimples from shaving irritation and skin germs causing localized inflammation of hair follicles. Stop using straight edge razor, and in place, use a buzz clipper with a hair guard (battery or plug in).

2), 4), & 5)  Normal variations in the skin:  fordyce spots (retained oil glands) and pearly papules.

3) Redness around the opening (meatus) of the penis is a common condition in an uncircumcised penis

Nothing to worry about!

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer!

1) I don't think that they are hair bumps or pimples from shaving because I don't use a razor, I use what you said, a buzz clipper with hair guard. Seems more like Molluscum contagiosum to me. Probably the photos are optimized and you don't see them at the original dimensions.

3) Not the redness. There are some little yellow pimples. Photo clarity problem.

Hi Again, Aly,
Your second batch of photos are much clearer than the first.  I agree, that the waxy bumps that are indurated or dimpled, do indeed look like molluscum contagiosum. The little yellow bumps that are very difficult to see at the urinary opening, are a normal variant.  Remember that the skin there is very, very thin, and is without the keratin, which is the cellular matrix that makes the skin dry, tiny imperfections may appear to be more obvious.  

Molluscum are self limited, and usually resolve by themselves without doing anything.  Sometimes the inner core must be abraded with a sterile needle (skin aseptically prepared with antiseptic first) to allow the white material to come out. The buzz clipper may have scratched or irritated the skin and hair follicles to allow the skin virus responsible for molluscum to cause infection.   

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons