Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Penis spots/rash/redness

Hello, I'd be grateful for a few moments of your time to give your opinion on my issue.

I haven't had sex for around 1 month up until 2 weeks ago today, then I had sex at least once a day for ~4 days (this includes receiving oral). The trouble is, one session was with a girl I've not been with before.

So my symptoms are that I had some spots on the glans. These were not itchy/sore, didn't blister or anything like a cold sore. I have no discharge (that I can see anyway) and my foreskin is quite sore/tight/red. The pictures are from 2 days ago, the spots were a little more red and the foreskin soreness hit it's peak yesterday and so I used some sudocream. It's almost gone today.

The regular girl had thrush 7 days ago, but my symptoms were around 8 days ago.

Is this just balinitis/mild thrush or something? Or should I be concerned about things like herpes?

I'm thinking it's linked to having a lot of sexual activity, but going with another girl has worried me.

Hello Mark,
Men with foreskins are at some risk for rashes on the glans (head) or foreskin following sex (oral, vaginal, anal, or by your self) due to lack of lubrication wearing off the top layer of skin cells revealing an underlying red area that you see as spots.  Thrush is a fungal infection, and this can make such a rash and foreskin redness, itchiness and tightness worse, which is a common cause of balanitis.  This does not look like anything having to do with herpes, so I wouldn't stress about that.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons