Sexually Transmitted Diseases/STD

bumps in mouth
bumps in mouth  
black crust stuff
black crust stuff  
QUESTION: Could this be herpes or syphilis? About 3 or 4 weeks back I had unprotect sex. Right after( less than hour) I developed this bumps under the tongue. They don't hurt or anything and they haven't gone away. On the vagina area I had itching and burning. I did shave before sex and develop razor bumps that are now healig. However this new painless bump have form,which seem to have hair growing out of it and white stuff then blood coming out. I got diagnosis a week ago with yeast infection, which hasn't cleared up and I still getting itching from time to time. Doctor said it is mostly like do to being pregnant, which I am about 3 to 4 weeks along now. I have develop little beauty mark and bumps around my body. Some itch and some dont. I don't if this is due to the pregnancy or syphilis lesion. I notice yesterday I got this black crust and rough stuff on my labia they do not hurt. Please help. I have already been rule out for Chlamydia and gonorrhea by my doctor testing me.

ANSWER: Hello Lexus,
The bumps on your tongue cannot be due to herpes or syphilis, as either of these infections require more than a few hours to actually appear! More like several days at minimum, to several months! It appears that you have hypertrophied papillae on your tongue, a normal consequence of acute irritation. Brush your teeth and tongue and floss at least daily for good health care.

Since you are now pregnant, you should be taking prenatal vitamins, and getting regular and frequent prenatal health care, and should bring your concerns to your provider's attention.  Blood work should check you for syphilis, as this is a standard test conducted for all pregnant women. Pregnancy does tend to suppress the immune system, which may allow vaginal yeast infections, and oral thrush (inside the mouth) as well as exacerbations of skin conditions such as eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.  This is something to discuss with your health care providers!

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thanks for a quick reply. I'm taking prenatal vitamins prescribed by my Doctor. Do you have any clue about black stuff on labia is, that what's really worrying me?  I won't be seeing my Doctor until 24th of August again and I was wondering if it might syphilis,so I could to a STD clinic this week to find out.

Hello Lexus,
I can tell you what it ISN'T easier than what it is, since you need to be seen face to face. It is NOT syphilis.  My guess that the crusty stuff you mention may be vaginal discharge from yeast that may cling to the vulva and dry out.  Using warm water washes may help clean and get rid of this annoying material.  Sometimes, minor skin conditions may cause this condition.  Again, a visit to examine the area will determine the cause.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons