Sexually Transmitted Diseases/small bumps around penis head

Question
1
1  

2
2  
I saw my PCP about some redness under the head of my penis. He said it was probably just irritated (dermatitis). He did initially mention the possibility of herpes which of course made me a bit paranoid.

I am not sure how closely he really inspected me so I just wanted to get your opinion on one thing. I might just be hyper aware of every little thing now. I noticed some really small bumps on the head of my penis. Do they look natural?

Answer
Jack,

Those are called pearly penile papules or PPP and every guy I've ever seen on this site (including myself) has them around their corona. They are HARMLESS and yours look completely normal. It would be normal for them to get a little red from time to time because you're circumcised; in fact, I would be surprised if your penis never turned red at all! Circumcised penises tend to respond to changes in their environment just like normal skin because you don't have a covering to protect you from temperature changes or dryness. Being circumcised has its advantages too, so don't despair. I've been circumcised for 33 years and there's nothing I can do about it either, so you take things in stride. But, you look completely normal and no it isn't herpes. It doesn't even look remotely close to herpes, which amazes me why your doctor would even say that. Herpes lesions look like hell on Earth (like a pimple exploded, then exploded again and it hurt 5x worse). I wouldn't worry to much about your PPP, so if you need furthur advice let me know.

Chow,

John

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

John Brice