Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Testicle pain

Testicles another angle
Testicles another angl  
QUESTION: Beginning last week I began to feel a slight discomfort in my right testicle. I didn't think anything of it until today. I was masturbating earlier and as I was about ejeaculate I got a sharp pain in my right testicle and no seamen came out. I'm not sure if the pain caused my orgasm to stop and prevent me from ejaculating or if my pain was related to the masturbation. I have not attempted to ejactulate since and my testifies feel a bit sore for some reason. I realize this is a very sensitive issue but I would greatly appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Hello Michael,
Although both images do not look like your testicles are swollen, it is possible that you may have an epidydimitis which is usually caused by a bacterial infection (usually an STD), or torsion (twisting) of the testicle which is an emergent situation that requires immediate care from a knowledgeable doctor. I am presuming that you have not had a recent injury to your testes. Try elevating your testicles (wearing a supporter/jock strap, or just gently lift with your hands), lying flat with knees elevated... does this minimize the discomfort? Does one side feel warm or look red or swollen, or it it tender to touch? Can you roll each testicle gently between your fingers while in the shower (when you are more relaxed) and notice any special areas that are more tender, or enlarged than in the same place on the other side? Have you noticed any discharge to the penis

(By the way, "seamen" are also known as "sailors;"  you are referring to "semen" which is the fluid of sperm, prostatic and other fluids combine and form the ejaculate.

Ejaculation may cause a twinge of pain when there is some inflammation or other structural abnormality, such as a bruise, torsion, or infection. Sometimes it is just a weird "normal variation" for no good reason.

If it continues, than you should definitely seek medical care by no later than Monday.  

Good luck!

Cupping my testicles like you said.
Cupping my testicles l  

Different angle
Different angle  
QUESTION: Hello again Mr. Behar, thank you for your help in my previous question but I now have a related issue I would like to ask you about. When I awoke from a nap today I noticed a slight discomfort in my testicles. I remembered that you said to try and cup my testicles and i have done that for you and taken a picture. You also said to try rolling my testicles around while my saxk was warm and I did this under my blankets. While I was doing this I noticed that my left testicle felt different than normal it almost felt as if it was rotated upwards. After performing the testicle checks that you suggested I thought that ejaulating might help relieve the discomfort. However, my testicles were feeling too sore for me to do this. Is there anything that could be causing this? I greatly appreciate your professional help on my very personal issue.

Hi Again, Michael,
Testicles are relatively mobile glands that do elevate or relax in the scrotum based on temperature and various stages of sexual excitement and arousal.  If they twist around, it may be dangerous as it can compromise the circulation resulting in injury. This is known as "torsion of the testicle."  Elevating the testicles with a supporter, or your hand, may relieve the tension on the stretched nerves and blood vessels, and allow greater comfort.  As it has continued to bother you, I would seek care from a knowledgeable health care provider/urologist, or urgent care/emergency room provider. As I mentioned earlier, you should seek that medical care as soon as possible.  A scrotal/testicular ultrasound may be needed to determine what is causing the problem.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons