Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Genital warts or herpes

Genital warts or herpes
Genital warts or herpe  
Hi! Can you please help me identify these bumps on my vagina?
Initially, i was having yellow green discharge with fishy odor, painful sex and the doctor diagnosed me with gonorrhea. I took the antibiotics twice already -- the discharge has only lessened, but is not clearing up. My boyfriend also had discharges, and took ceftriaxone shot from his urologist. Then when I had sex with my boyfriend recently (still was having slight yellow green discharge but he insisted that he'll just have another shot when symptoms come up) I noticed that after the sex, my vagina was itchy --- and found these bumps. They also hurt when slightly pressed. I'm not sure but I think I was having itchy vagina after everytime i have sex but i only noticed it now. I'm gonna have it checked over the weekend and also have hiv testing soon but i just want to know what this is for now because im scared. Ive only had one partner ever since. My boyfriend has had many. Thank you very much.

Hello Kaye,
The bumpy texture of your introitus (the opening of the vagina on the labia) are normal variations and may sometimes look smooth, sometimes variegated and bumpy. Sometimes they may signify an acute inflammation. It does NOT look like HPV/warts or herpes.   HOWEVER, why would you have sex with your boyfriend who gave you gonorrhea, especially if his symptoms did not resolve?  You both may have gonorrhea and/or chlamydia, and getting treatment once does not confer immunity for another sexual encounter with the person who is still symptomatic. He must not think a lot about you to subject you to a risk that can cause a serious complication known as Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) which can cause sterility, pregnancy loss, and in severe cases, death.

Gonorrhea is USUALLY sensitive to the ceftriaxone injection but is boosted with the oral medication azithromycin. In some parts of the world, there are RESISTANT strains of the the germ to these antibiotics!

Having either a vaginal infection with or without a cervical infection from gonorrhea may cause vulvar irritation and tenderness. It sounds like you need a pelvic exam from someone who is well versed in diagnosing sexually transmitted infections.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons