Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Could this be an STD or STI?

Rash on penis shaft
Rash on penis shaft  
penis tip
penis tip  
On January 2nd 2016 an individual performed oral sex to me. They told me that they were completely free of stds of course I had no way to prove this. Directly after I showered to clean my self. Recently I have noticed what looks like a flesh colored growth near my urethra and it is tender to the touch. I also noticed a slight red rashy area on the shaft of my penis the day after this act. Also occasionally when I urinate it stings a but at the beginning but that usually subsidies after like second. Everyday I have been cleaning this are and I am not sure wether this could be causing the irritation or growth. At first i thought the rashy are could have been eczema. If you could please shed some light on the situation I would greatly appreciate it.

ANSWER: Hello Henry,
If you have eczema elsewhere on your skin, than it is possible for this skin condition to appear on the penis as well. However, the photos are not suggestive of eczema.  Skin everywhere may develop little irritations and blemishes, and oral sex may have triggered it (sharp tooth, sucking too hard, saliva is an enzyme that begins the digestion process).  It does NOT look like any type of STD right now, and I would not worry about it unless it gets worse.

Good luck!

You just answered a question of mine about a possible std growth on my penis. There are slight bumps that seem irritated and are tender to the touch on the tip and they are a fleshy colored  do you  think they could be a form or herpes?

ANSWER: Hi Again, Henry,
No, herpes has a very characteristic progression, and your description is NOT consistent with this STD.  

Good luck!

Penis Head
Penis Head  
QUESTION: Does the penis head look like it is  herpes or just irritated? The red areas are a bit tender to the touch and feel discomfort when rubbing against surfaces such as underwear etc.
Also what are the characteristics of a herpes sore?

Hello Again Henry,
The photo does NOT look like an acute episode of herpes.

Please see the following link for more information about herpes:

And this link for photos of genital herpes from

Good luck,

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons