Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Yellow white spot

Wide yellow spot
Wide yellow spot  

White spots
White spots  
I am 28 in Nashua NH. I had both oral and vaginal sex with a girl and since then my penis has had a spot that burns a little. It is shown in the picture right next to my thumb and it is a yellowish color and has a few white bumps. It gets aggravated by touching it. I also started a sport at the same time and I'm not sure if the jockstrap and cup were clean. I got an STD test by my doctor two months after and all tests including HSV 1 and 2 were negative. I am not sure if it is a fungus or something else. It is hard to tell exactly where I get the burning sensation but it seems to be in the very end of the hole and / or where the spot is in the picture. The burning is mild but I am always aware of it.

Hello Andrew,
The yellow discoloration is pretty subtle. It may be a normal variation of the skin. Is it possible that it is the site of a recent bruise, since blood that seeps into the top layer of skin eventually changes from red & purple (like a bruise) to yellowish and brown before reverting back to normal.  Sometimes localized skin infections (impetigo) may contain a bacteria that causes a yellow, honey-comb crusty discharge, but your skin looks dry, without such a discharge. Burning at the tip can be due to trichomonas infection (a urine test may detect the infection, which is otherwise minimally symptomatic), and certain germs not easily detected in the common STD tests.  Such germs may be mycoplasma or ureaplasma.  It may also be due to a prostate infection as well.

You need to have an exam by someone familiar with these possibilities.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons