Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Dry/ wrinkled Skin

I've had this issue for almost a year. I did see a doctor once, got some sti testing and everything came back negative. My doctor prescribed some clotrimazole cream, but it's not helping.

I'm 30, sexually active and I'm in a long term relationship with a male. I'm uncircumcised and up until now I've never had an issue.

The skin, specifically on the head of my penis and my foreskin has taken on this wrinkled dry look. I wash daily and im very hygienic.

There's no pain or itching. If left untreated, meaning no cleansing and applying the cream ... The skin looks even dryer and begins to flake. I'm about to schedule another appointment, but thought maybe I could get some assistance here first.

Also, I live in the US, FL

Hello David,
Clotrimazole is a topical antifungal cream, but not a very effective one. However, it does not look at all like a skin infection caused by a fungus. You may be overly washing. Since you live in Florida, you may swim in pools, or soak in hot tubs, all of which may have strong chemicals that can irritate sensitive skin.  Sometimes, having sex in a pool or hot tub can make things worse!  Soaps may be alkaline and somewhat drying which might cause such an effect.   If you continue to wash with soap daily, consider switching  bar soaps to something very mild, such as BASIS, usually found at area drug stores near cosmetic soaps like Oil of Olay. It lasts a long time and does not suds up like traditional soaps, but is very good.  Stop using the clotrimazole, since you don't have a fungal infection that needs treatment.

Good luck and have fun down there with the BF!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons