Sexually Transmitted Diseases/oral sex while gaving cut/erosion on the penis

QUESTION: Hi Doctor,
I had two sexual partners last weekend, with one i had safe anal sex and received unsafe oral sex with both guys, later in the same day i noticed erosion/cut on my penis, since then I am so anxious that i may be infected with HIV .I dont know if this erosion was before sex or after :(...As  I know I should wait 3 months to get tested but i can not live normal life with this situation.

Is it possible that I became in infected due to the cut on my penis?even if i used condom in anal sex ?
your reply will be highly appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Daniel,
Not sure what you mean by having "safe anal sex"-- were you the top wearing a condom, or the bottom with your partner wearing a condom?  The cut on the penis may have been from vigorous sex with a lot of friction; if you are UNCUT, than enzymes in saliva along with tooth friction and vigorous sucking can break down the skin.  Any germs-- including syphilis, herpes, or HIV can get into that abrasion and cause an infection. However, in the absence of STDs, one can still have a cut on the skin, that will take a week or so to fully heal. Rapid detection HIV tests can be accurate within a few weeks, rather than the 3 months that characterized tests from a few years ago.  Remember though, that HIV is only one of the germs to test for.   You can and will live a normal life, just don't obsess about it.  Have yourself checked by a knowledgeable health care provider or clinic.  

If the condom perfectly covered the cut area of your penis, and the condom remained intact, than there is little fear about HIV acquisition or transmission.  But if the cut is near the base of the penis (where it joins the rest of your body; also known as proximal penile shaft), the condom frequently "rides" down the shaft, exposing the proximal penis to potential germs from partner. If the cut or scratch is near the head (the "distal" penile shaft), than I don't think you need to worry.  

Good luck!

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer.

I was topping during the anal sex, and the cut was on the distal shaft of the penis so it was covered by a condom , but what i am worried about is that during receiving oral sex i was exposed to the hiv .i noticed the cut on the same day and peeled off after two days.

So is it possible to become infected from oral sex with a cut on the penis?
I am really anxious because i beginning medical school next year and i fear from being hiv+.

Thanks for you answer

Hi Again, Daniel,
It is HIGHLY unlikely that you were HIV infected from such an activity.  It is more likely to get infected from herpes from such an activity!

Good luck in starting medical school, and do check out the Gay & Lesbian Medical Association ( for excellent support from your fellow LGBT doctors, PAs, NPs, and other health care providers.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons