Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Peeling?

Question
Peeling
Peeling  
Peeling
Peeling  
QUESTION: Hello again Mark,
So I was treated with a pretty hefty dose of boric acid for the very nasty yeast infection I have, and I woke up this morning with some pain in my bikini line- felt like my panties were pinching me. So I came to look.

If you remember from previously, I had a nasty case of hives from the minocin I was taking, so I have also been taking Azythromycin.

I noticed peeling before I had the yeast infection treated, but it's bad in this one spot, but the entirety of my vagina is now peeling, especially around where the pimply rash from the yeast infection was. I'm not sure if this is due to the yeast infection, or if it's due to the boric acid, because my bikini area stays a bit moist between my being overweight and being constantly moist from the leaking. I am concerned?

ANSWER: Hello Katie,
Why are you taking Azithromycin? This is designed for chlamydia, gonorrhea (usually with another antibiotic), and sometimes a few other infections.  It is effective, however can really screw up your intestinal flora, the normal germs that keep you healthy.

It sounds like you are concerned, and should be because of the ineffective treatment you are taking for what you say is a vaginal yeast infection.  This is best treated with something like a fluconazole tablet or miconazole or terconazole vaginal creams. Boric acid is merely designed to help adjust the vaginal pH from alkaline to more acidic, which is more consistent with a normal vaginal acid balance.

You need a proper antiyeast medication (if that is what you have been diagnosed with). If everything stays very moist down there, then you may wish to dry something that may make it drier. Consult your doctor about that. The actual flaking you are experiencing may be due to inflammation following severe irritation.

Good luck!
--mark

QUESTION: I'm taking the azythromycin for perioral dermatitis, it was prescribed my my dermatologist along with a cream for my face.

My vaginal pH is weird, and I've always been prone to yeast infections. I've tried to treat the same yeast infection with diflucan, but it always ends up coming back, so my GYN decided to "reset" my vagina. The peeling is almost like a sunburn and kind of scares me!

Answer
Hi Again, Katie,
I am unaware of prescribing Azithromycin for a perioral dermatitis. Azithromycin is a strong, broad spectrum antibiotic designed for limited use for a narrow range of problems.  It is possible that dermatologists have carved a new niche for this drug, but I would find that surprising.  "Perioral dermatitis" is pretty nonspecific and in the absence of an infectious cause, the appropriate treatment is a steroid cream.  Sometimes, a topical antifungal may be effective.

Azithro has a very long half-life of about 3 days, meaning that each dose stays in your body for at least 9 days.  Most other antibiotics have half-lives on the order of HOURS, not days. "Half-life" is the time it takes for your body to metabolize and or excrete 1/2 of the medication in your body. Half-lives increase in people with kidney or liver disease, depending on how the medication is used and eliminated.  

The Azithro will increase the chance for a vaginal yeast infection, and disrupt the vast normal bacterial flora of your gut (GI system), genito-urinary (GU), and respiratory systems, and may increase the chances disease from this disruption.

The "peeling" you are experiencing is difficult to interpret without actually seeing you. It could reflect a potentially dangerous reaction to the medications that your are taking.  I would contact the prescriber immediately, and seek their advice.  And boric acid, by the way, does not treat or prevent vaginal yeast; it merely helps to adjust the vaginal pH to a normal acidic environment, which in fact, is friendly to vaginal yeast infections!

I know this seems confusing, but all the more reason to talk to them immediately.
Good luck!
--mark

P.S.  I rechecked one of my references, and azithromycin is NOT listed as an antibiotic option.  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar