Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Question about HIV testing procedures

Question
I had an HIV test about 9 months ago after my PCP referred me to a hematologists in order to figure out what was causing some of my symptoms and explain why my blood platelets were so high. The hematologists ran a bunch of tests which included an HIV test. The problem was that I was made to feel uncomfortable because the hematologists wasn't at all gay friendly and made comments that I found offensive when I mentioned that I was gay. I decided right then that I wasn't going to go back to that office and figured if my HIV test came back positive he would contact me.

Now I'm not so sure and I'm wondering if I was correct in thinking that he would call if the test was positive. I've since found out what was causing my platelet issue but I have not had another Hiv test because I've developed an anxiety disorder and I'm too afraid to get another one. If my test came back positive would the doctor have called to tell me or would he just sit on the information and wait for me to come back to see him? I reside in California if that makes a difference.

Answer
Hello Brandon,
Sorry to hear that your experience was not good with the specialist.  Rapid HIV testing is pretty quick and easy, and many city health departments do rapid tests from just a single drop of blood, taking no more than 20 minutes. Although it is the ethical responsibility of a doctor to inform patients of a potentially dangerous health condition from a positive lab result, I do not know if it is a LEGAL OBLIGATION to do so in California.

It seems highly unlikely that you would have HIV, however the only way for you to be certain, is to have an HIV test!  If a person tests HIV positive, there are excellent medications to keep you well indefinitely, much like for other chronic medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar