Sexually Transmitted Diseases/HPV

QUESTION: I'm 24 years old female. Yesterday I noticed a bunch of bumps on the inside of my right labia minora. They aren't painful to touch. I recently tested negative for HPV, herpes, vdrl, HIV, hep B. The last sexual contact I had was Dec 2014. Could you tell me if it looks like warts?

ANSWER: Hello Chiqann,
I can't tell you what it looks like, since there is no photo attached! The recent tests you mentioned are a little unclear.

How were you "tested negative" for HPV? Was it a Pap smear and DNA test from your cervix (NOT the vulva or labia minora)?  Or herpes?  Was it a blood test-- IgG or IgM antibody to herpes type 1, type 2 or both; or a swab for herpes?

Please send clear, bright photo of the affected area.

Good luck!

Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  

The pap smear test was normal and the HPV DNA test of the cervix tested negative for 13 high risk types. The test didn't look for low risk, wart causing types. The herpes test was an IGg test and it was negative for both type 1 & 2. So right now I'm only worried about warts!

Hi Again, Chiquann,
Thanks for the updated information!  The vulva looks fine! The bumps you have shown are normal variations of the vulva.  This area is known as "squamous papillomatosis" and does NOT reflect anything wrong or abnormal.  

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons