Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Hpv

Good Morning . I'm an Italian girl,so I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm writing here because I would like to know something better about my situation. Exactly one year ago,in March 2015,my boyfriend found some condylomata in his genital area that came and went away spontaneously, and they do the same also now. I made 4 years ago Gardasyl and I was virgin, so I was convinced that I was protected from condylomata. 4 months ago,in January, to be sure about my situation I controlled my genital area and I found in the  left small labia  two very small bumps and I was terrified. My gynecologist said that they could be condylomata but he wasn't completely sure because of my vaccine. If they were condylomata,in 9 months from my boyfriend contagion, shouldn't have expanded in my vagina more than simply two bumps ? I've applied condyline 2 times on them,and they disappear,but after that,they reappear in 15 days. Can they be simple physiological papillae? Can they be condylomata also with Gardasyl? I send you  an which the bumps seem white but in reality they are of the same color of the skin. I'm sordo for the bad quality of the image. Thank you.

Hello Barbara,
Sorry, no photo was attached to your note. Gardasil is very effective, but not 100% perfect, like all vaccines. It is designed to protect you from the strains of HPV that are associated with cervical cancer-- the high oncogenic strains of the virus. The question that needs addressing is your own Pap smear test for cervical cancer screening.  When done? What were the results?  

Condyloma (warts) do NOT generally come and go as you describe, and squamous papilloma may be what you have.  You may also have HPV infection, which may cause warts.  

The whole purpose of a vaccine is to prime your immune system so that if exposed to the virus, your immune system reacts strongly to get rid of the HPV.  That may very well be happening.

Good luck!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar

Almost any question or concern about gay men's health issues, sexually transmitted infections, abnormal Pap smears, anal cytology (anal "Pap smears"), etc. There is no such thing as “d/d free” or “clean” (free of infection), so why do so many of us deceive ourselves into thinking that some people are indeed totally free from a potentially infectious disease, like HIV, herpes, hepatitis, syphilis, chlamydia, warts, gonorrhea, etc., just because they say so? Clinical laboratory tests are not perfect, and having a “negative” or “nonreactive” test does not mean that a person is free from infection. Perhaps at the moment the test was taken, the person was uninfected; or, perhaps, the test wasn’t sensitive enough to detect presence of the infection. There is really no way that anyone can determine that they are truly “disease free,” and there are over a hundred of infectious conditions that can be spread without your knowing anything. Rather than trying to “pre-screen” or “serosort” a potential sex-mate with deceptive questions that are impossible to know by today’s technologies, a wiser option may be to consider everyone infected with something, and either use appropriate protective measures (“safer sex”), or accept the responsibility and consequences of possibly “catching” something from someone who’s hotter than expected (pun intended!). There is much research that supports the contention that an HIV positive person reliably taking HIV medications, and having an undetectable viral load, presents a lower risk for transmission of HIV than people who may think or say they are HIV negative, but are not. Food for thought!

Family Practice PA since 1981; Volunteer Clinician for Brady East STD (BESTD) Clinic, Milwaukee, since 1977; answered STD questions submitted to their web site. Professionally lectured at national and regional Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner conferences, and at national gay & lesbian health conferences on topics including HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis, STDs, human papilloma virus (the cause of venereal warts), abnormal Pap smears, gay and lesbian health issues, among others.

Co-Founder, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Gay Physician Assistant Caucus of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, Inc.; American Academy of Physician Assistants; Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants; National Co-Chair (2012-16), National Association of Black and White Men Together: A Gay, Multiracial Organization for All People (NABWMT)

Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (JAPA) Q Visions, Quarterly Newsletter of the NABWMT

Bachelor's of Arts, 1972 (University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI) Graduate Credits Experimental Psychology, 1972-75 (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA) Physician Assistant, Bachelor's of Science, 1981 (George Washington University, Washington, DC); Masters in Physician Assistant Studies, 2000 (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE)

Colposcopy Recognition Award (CRA), the American Association of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology; Distinguished Fellow, Clinical Preceptor, American Academy of Physician Assistants; Fellow, Wisconsin Academy of Physician Assistants

Brady East STD Clinic, Milwaukee, WI Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center), Dept. of Family Medicine and Early Intervention Program for HIV Infected Persons