Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Std?

Question
Shaft
Shaft  
QUESTION: Hi, I've had unprotected sex about 14 days ago and am just noticing this rash like bumps on my penile shaft. Could this be herpes? I am very concerned about this.

ANSWER: Hello James,
The photo shows only very lightly colored areas that might be the beginning of "something." Not sure what that "something" may be, but herpes usually progresses fairly quickly over the course of several days.   In a day or so, if the areas have turned into severely irritated (numb, itchy, and/or painful) and blistered areas, than it is almost certainly herpes. If not, it isn't.  Prescribed medications may cut the length of time and viral shedding to about 5 days, but everything eventually heals even without medications.

Good luck!
--mark

Pic1
Pic1  
Pic2
Pic2  
QUESTION: Hi Mark, I went and saw a doctor today and he doesn't think it's genital herpes. He gave me a cream for yeast infection but I'm still concerned about it. It hasn't caused any pain or discomfort and blisters haven't formed as of now, I am worried about the small white bumps above the rash area though. I have attatched an updated picture. Also I attatched a picture of my mouth are the white bumps at the top of it normal? Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Again, James,
The skin of your penis does not look like herpes, and as I mentioned previously, herpes rapidly progresses to something very typical and unique for the virus. The right side of the throat in the image is very red and irritated, which is common for a viral infection.  The photo does not easily visualize white spots that you speak of.  However if the sore throat is accompanied by fever, than that increases the chance that it could be due to Strep, which usually requires antibiotic treatment.

Good luck! Hope the cream takes care of the rash!
--mark

Pic3
Pic3  
QUESTION: Thanks for all the help Mark. I've attatched an updated picture, still no pain or tingling but from doing research online it looks to me like herpes. I know I may be wrong I'm just looking for some reassurance, and please give me an honest answer. The white spots that are approx 1mm in diameter look like they have fluid in them. The red area near the top is red as I tried to pop the fluid out. If you don't think it's herpes what do you think it is? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Again, James,
It may look like herpes to an inexperienced eye, but it does not look like herpes to me! Just to be clear, I am considering the photo of your penis, not the one of your throat. Fluid filled tiny bumps are frequently associated with a usually benign but nuisance condition known as "dyshidrotic eczema" when it occurs on the hands or feet, usually after exposure to something, like a contact irritant. Although the mechanism of the disorder is not well understood, some frequent causes include contact irritants which may be cosmetics or lubricants, constant exposure to friction with moisture from water or sweat, or repeated scratching or rubbing. Sometimes, oil or sweat glands become plugged. Sometimes skin fungi may cause the itching, that if unchecked, can result in unrelentless itching, which may look like the type of rash that you have.

Good luck!
--mark  

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Mark P. Behar